S. P. Balasubrahmanyam National Award Winning Songs List
S. P. Balasubrahmanyam National Award Winning Songs List: S. P. Balasubrahmanyam is unarguably one of the greatest singers of all time. He was a multi-talented artist. He was not only a singer but also an Composer, Dubbing Artist, Actor, Producer, and TV show Host and Judge.
S. P. Balasubrahmanyam made his debut in playback singing in 1966 through the Telugu song ‘Emiyee Vinta Moham’ from the film ‘Sri Sri Sri Maryada Ramanna’ starring B. Padmanabham, Gitanjali, Rajasree and others. This song was composed by S. P. Kodandapani. SPB rendered this song along with famous playback singers P. Susheela, P. B. Sreenivas, and K. Raghuramayya.
In a career spanning more than 5 decades, The legendary Singer has recorded more than Forty Thousand songs [Guinness World Record for recording the highest number of songs by a singer] in more than 16 Languages including Telugu, Kannada, Tamil, Malayalam, and Hindi.
S. P. Balasubrahmanyam had received numerous awards and accolades for his achievements in the field of music. Government of India honored him by Nations highest civilian awards Padma Shri in 2001 and Padma Bhushan in 2011.
S. P. Balasubrahmanyam had won ‘National Film Award for Best Male Playback Singer’ 6 times for his songs in Telugu , Tamil , Kannada  and Hindi . In this post, we are going to take a look at the S. P. Balasubrahmanyam National Award Winning Songs List.
1. Omkaara Naadaanusandhanam | Sankarabharanam: S. P. Balasubrahmanyam won his first ‘National Film Award for Best Male Playback Singer’ in 1979 for this Telugu song ‘Omkaara Naadaanusandhanam’ from the movie ‘Sankarabharanam’, directed by legendary Telugu director K. Viswanath.
Considered as one of the greatest movies ‘Sankarabharanam’ featured J.V. Somayajulu, Manju Bhargavi, Chandra Mohan, Rajalakshmi, Allu Ramalingaiah, Nirmalamma, Tulasi and others.
This song was composed by music director K. V. Mahadevan and the lyrics were penned by famous lyricist Veturi Sundararama Murthy. The highlight of this song is its lyrics and rendition of S. P. Balasubrahmanyam.
This film was a real challenge for SPB because of the heavy classical content of the compositions. S. P. Balasubrahmanyam had not taken any formal training in Classical music prior but he sang all the songs in the movie soulfully and his efforts highly appreciated by audience and critics alike. It established S. P. Balasubrahmanyam as a versatile singer.
Sankarabharanam is one of the Cult classic movies of Telugu Cinema and it won Four ‘National Film Awards including the Best Film with Mass Appeal, Wholesome Entertainment & Aesthetic Values’, ‘National Film Award for Best Music Direction’ for K. V. Mahadevan, ‘ National Film Award for Best Male Playback Singer’ for S. P. Balasubrahmanyam, and ‘National Film Award for Best Female Playback Singer’ for Vani Jayaram.
2. Tere Mere Beech Mein | Ek Duuje Ke Liye: Tere Mere Beech Mein is a super hit Hindi song rendered by S. P. Balasubrahmanyam for his first Hindi Movie ‘Ek Duuje Ke Liye’ and it fetched him his second ‘National Film Award for Best Male Playback Singer’.
Tere Mere Beech Mein song was composed by music directors Laxmikant-Pyarelal and the lyrics were penned by Anand Bakshi. Initially the music directors were reluctant use S. P. Balasubrahmanyam. But director K. Balachander insisted that SPB should the songs and rest is history.
Ek Duuje Ke Liye was a remake of mega hit 1978 Telugu film ‘Maro Charitra’ directed by K. Balachander, starring Kamal Haasan, Rati Agnihotri, Madhavi and others.
3. Vedam Anuvanuvuna Nadam | Sagara Sangamam: S. P. Balasubrahmanyam won his third ‘National Award for Best Male Playback Singer’ for this Telugu song ‘Vedam Anuvanuvuna Nadam’ from the 1983 Telugu movie ‘Sagara Sangamam’, directed by K. Viswanath and Produced by Edida Nageswara Rao.
Vedam Anuvanuvuna Nadam song was composed by Ilaiyaraaja and written by lyricist Veturi Sundararama Murthy. SPB rendered this song along with his sister playback singer S. P. Sailaja. Music director Ilaiyaraaja also won ‘National Film Award for Best Music Direction’ award.
Sagara Sangamam is considered as one of the best movies made in India and one more master piece from director K. Viswanath. It featured Kamal Haasan, Jaya Prada, Sarath Babu, S. P. Sailaja, and others. The film was well received by critics and film lovers.
4. Cheppaalani Undi | Rudraveena: After winning National Awards for Telugu and Hindi song, S. P. Balasubrahmanyam continued his winning streak by winning a ‘National Film Award for Best Male Playback Singer’ again in Telugu for this song ‘Cheppaalani Undi.
Cheppaalani Undi song was composed by Ilaiyaraaja and lyrics were penned by Sirivennela Sitaramasastri. This is the second song composed by Ilaiyaraaja and second movie by director K. Balachander that fetched National award for SPB.
Rudraveena featured Chiranjeevi, Gemini Ganesan, Shobana, Sumithra, Ramesh Aravind, and others. This film was remade in Tamil as ‘Unnal Mudiyum Thambi’ starring Kamal Haasan and others.
5. Umandu Ghumandu Ghana | Sangeetha Sagara Ganayogi Panchakshara Gavai: After winning ‘National Film Award for Best Male Playback Singer’ four times in two different languages Telugu and Hindi, SPB proved his mettle again by winning his fifth National Award this time for a Kannada song ‘Umandu Ghumandu Ghana’.
Umandu Ghumandu Ghana was a Hindustani classical song from Tan Sen that was used in this 1995 Kannada film ‘Sangeetha Sagara Ganayogi Panchakshara Gavai’ based ont he life of ‘Panchakshara Gawai. Hamsalekha was the music director of this film.
S. P. Balasubrahmanyam once again proved that Language or format [Carnatic/Hindustani Classic] will never be a barrier for Him. He rendered this difficult classical song soulfully.
6. Thanga Thamarai Magale | Minsara Kanavu: ‘National Film Award for Best Male Playback Singer’ for a Tamil song was due from long time for SPB. This song ‘Thanga Thamarai Magale’ from the 1997 ‘Minsara Kanavu’ fetched him National Award.
This song was composed by A. R. Rahman and lyrics were written by Vairamuthu. S. P. Balasubrahmanyam rendered this song with Malgudi Subha. He slightly changed his tone for this song.
‘Minsara Kanavu’ was directed by Rajiv Menon and the film featured Arvind Swamy, Prabhu Deva, Kajol, S. P. Balasubrahmanyam, Nassar, and others. The film won four National Film Awards.
S. P. Balasubrahmanyam National Award Winning Songs List.
|Tere Mere Beech Mein||Ek Duuje Ke Liye||Hindi||1981|
|Vedam Anuvanuvuna||Saagara Sangamam||Telugu||1983|
|Umandu Ghumandu||Sangeetha Sagara Ganayogi Panchakshara Gavai||Kannada||1995|
|Thanga Thamarai||Minsaara Kanavu||Tamil||1996|